Friday, July 18, 2008

Summer of 80's Movies

If you were tuned into this blog last summer, you may remember our exploration of the world of classic rock in "Summer School of Rock." This summer, I'd like to do something a little different.

That's why I'm declaring this the "Summer of 80's Movies." The goal is simple: pop some popcorn, watch as many 80's movies as possible in the next month, blog about them, and hear your comments. And of course movies are more fun with friends, so you are more than welcome to pull up a chair and watch them with me if you're so inclined.

I was born in 1982, so I only vaguely remember a handful of 80's movies from my childhood. That means that I need your help in choosing a movie list. I will do my best to get through them all this summer, but I'm sure there will always be more movies than time. They don't all have to be "classics" either, just reminiscent of that era.

Here's the list so far:
1. Back to the Future (trilogy)
2. Goonies
3. Summer School
4. Stand by Me
5. The Karate Kid (trilogy)
6. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
7. Ghostbusters, Part I
8. Big
9. The Money Pit
10. Wargames (which I saw is making a 25-year anniversary appearance in theaters soon, parenthetically)

Just post your suggestions and I'll get started this weekend.
First up: Karate Kid, parts 1, 2, & 3.

2 comments:

Adam said...

I think the series started in the late 70's but spilled over into the 80's...Death Wish. These movies feature bowl-shaggy haired cut, cheesy Charles Bronson as a ridiculous vigilante. They feature comically terrible acting, dialog and script but all this simply makes them WILDLY ENTERTAINING. I am currently looking to purchase all 3 of them as we speak. A must see.

Anonymous said...

If The Breakfast Club is not included here, the list is simply not complete! I'd say anything with the "brat pack" ensemble cast of that era is very worthy...